The Ignatian Year
May 20, 2021 to July 31, 2022
The Meaning of the Jubilee Year
The Ignatian Year (May 20, 2021 to July 31, 2022) commemorates two events in the life of Saint Ignatius, the founder of the Jesuit Order: the 500th anniversary his Conversion on May 20, 1521, and the fourth centenary of his Canonization on March 12, 1622. It concludes on his Feast Day, July 31.
The Jubilee Ignatian Year commemorates our Founder’s initial and dramatic turn from the vanities of the world to God, whom he desired to praise, reverence, and serve above all things. It is therefore a commemoration of the origin of the great spiritual mission that God gave Saint Ignatius in the Church. That mission has been reflected in the spiritual tradition characteristic of the Society of Jesus and in the apostolic contributions made by the Society. The numerous celebrations, activities, and events during the Ignatian Year will emphasize and be an example of our spiritual patrimony and of our apostolic service to the Church, with the Spiritual Exercises and the Universal Apostolic Preferences as guides in these areas.
SAINT IGNATIUS - THE IGNATIAN YEAR
Books by Saint Ignatius
* A Pilgrim’s Journey: The Autobiography of Ignatius of Loyola, ed., Joseph Tylenda, S.J. (Ignatius Press)
* The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius, trans., Luis Puhl, S.J. (Martino Fine Books)
* The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius, trans., George Ganss, S.J. (Institute of Jesuit Sources)
* The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius (Tan Classics)
Books about Saint Ignatius
* Ignatius of Loyola, Founder of the Jesuits: His Life and Work, Candido Dalmases, S.J. (Institute of Jesuit Sources)
* The First Jesuit: Saint Ignatius of Loyola, March Purcell (Image Books)
* Saint Ignatius of Loyola, Paul Dudon, trans. W. J. Young (Bruce Publishing Co.)
* Ignatius of Loyola: The Pilgrim Saint, J. Ignacio Tellech Idigoras, trans., Cornelius Buckley, S.J. (Loyola Press)
* The Life of Ignatius of Loyola, Pedro de Ribadeneira, S.J. (Institute of Jesuit Sources)
* The Golden Thread: A Novel About Saint Ignatius of Loyola, Louis de Wohl (Ignatius Press)
* Set All Afire: A Novel About Saint Francis Xavier, Louis de Wohl (Ignatius Press)
Books about the Society of Jesus
* Ignatius of Loyola and the Founding of the Society of Jesus, by Andre Ravier, S.J. (Ignatius Press)
* The Origin of the Jesuits, James Broderick, S.J. (Loyola Press)
* The Progress of the Jesuits, James Broderick, S.J. (Loyola Press)
* The First Jesuits, John O’Malley, S.J. (Harvard University Press)
* Francis Xavier: His Life, His Times (Four Volumes), Georg Schurhammer, S.J. (The Jesuit Historical Institute)
Videos about Saint Ignatius
* Catholicism, The Pivotal Players, Saint Ignatius of Loyola: The Founder, Bishop Robert Barron (Word on Fire), click here to view.
* The Cave of Saint Ignatius of Loyola (Jesuites Catalunya), click here to view.
* Rooms of Saint Ignatius (House of Gesu), click here to view.