The Jesuit Masque's Spring 2021 production of "The Bold, The Young, and The Murdered" by Don Zolidis is this Thursday through Saturday (April 8-10)!
This hilarious play, directed by Jesuit's Richard Miller, takes place on the set of a soap opera production, marries the classic murder mystery with absurd dark humor. The cast and crew of this corny TV show wrestle with how best to finish filming while a murderer picks them off one by one. Mayhem ensues as they argue over which of them is most likely the killer.
Showtimes are 7:00pm on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in the MPR, with an additional Saturday matinee at 1:00pm. Scroll down to view the cats and crew for the show. Click here for tickets, with in-person (while available) and livestreamed ticket options.
The spring performance highlights what has been a tremendous spring for Jesuit's thespians, who have excelled at District and State competition. In March, the Masque’s Thespian Troupe 8059 rang up a record five Superiors at the 2021 Florida State Thespians Festival.
The troupe entered 10 thespians in 10 events at State, which was conducted virtually because of the pandemic, and generated its best-ever results.
Receiving Superior ratings were:
• Tyler Brownrigg '21, Colin Creadon '23, Grant Jurusz '22, Matthew Justin '22, and Aaron Norris '22 – Ensemble Acting ("The Banderscott")
• Brownrigg and Nico Smyth '21 – Duet Acting ("Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead")
• Justin and Joseph Lopez '21 – Duet Acting ("Extraction")
• Creadon and Jurusz – Duet Acting ("The Old Boy")
• Lopez – Play Writing ("Cross-Checking")
Receiving Excellent ratings were:
• Nicholas Asher '21, Jimmy Grammig '21, and Lopez – Ensemble Acting ("The Frogs")
• Asher and Grammig – Duet Acting ("You Can’t Beat the House")
• Smyth – Monologues ("Thirst and The Nerd")
• Justin – Monologues ("Homeland Security" and "The End of the Day")
• John Paul Llanos '22 – Solo Musical (“Confrontation” from "Jekyll & Hyde")
In addition to the school-best total of Superiors, the troupe accomplished some notable milestones, including multiple Superiors in a single State Festival (Brownrigg, Creadon, Jurusz, Justin, and Lopez); the first time receiving multiple Superiors in Duet Acting; and just the second time receiving a Superior in Play Writing (Lopez).
"The Bold, The Young, and The Murdered" by Don Zolidis
CAST (in order of appearance):
John (“Valencio Di Carpathio”) – Joseph Lopez '21
Morris (“Jake Strong”) – Nico Smyth '21
Oli, the director – Matthew Justin '22
Todd, the stage manager – Colin Creadon '23
Louis, the camera man – Jackson Kiser '23
Danielle (“Jessica Silverstedt”) – Maeve Miller (AHN)
Amy (“Eileen Silverstedt”) – Georgia Head (AHN)
Bill (“Sebastian Strong”) – Nick Asher '21
Cybil (“Mona Jeffries”) – Rowan Miller (AHN)
Tyler (“Dr. William”) – Tyler Brownrigg '21
Lily (“Sequoiya”) – Reagan Miller (AHN)
Keri, the intern – Katelyn Micko (AHN)
Miles, the executive producer – Jimmy Grammig '21
Soap Opera Crew/Understudies:
Aidan Dupreez '21
Shane Donnelly '23
Anthony Donnelly '23
PRODUCTION TEAM AND CREW
Stage Manager: Simon Wills '24
Lighting Design by Aedan Gregory '24
Sound Design by Aaron Norris '22
Costume Design by John Paul Llanos '22
Prop Master: Grant Jurusz '22
Running Crew: Luke Davis '22
Camera Operator: Shane Donnelly '23
Technical Coordinator: Matthew Justin '22
Publicity Design: Kevin Ball '03, Franco Capitano '22, Will Danzi '21