The Jesuit High School swimming juggernaut did it again Saturday (Nov. 5) at the Long Center in Clearwater, capturing the Region title for the 8th straight year.
The Tigers did it in style, more than doubling the score of runner-up Lakewood, 551 to 247. Jesuit advanced 10 swimmers to the State Meet in 16 events, including all three relays.
Among the top finishers Saturday were:
- John Jansen ’18, Region champion in the 200 IM
- Chris Jennings ’18, Region champion in the 100 Breaststroke and runner-up in the 50 Freestyle
- Diego Perez-Aracena ’18, Region champion in Diving
- Brendan Driscoll ’19, Region champion in the 500 Freestyle
- Tyler Carreja ’19, runner-up in the 100 Backstroke and 3rd in the 100 Butterfly
- Sam Sands ’18, 3rd in the 50 and 100 Freestyles
- Region champion 200 Medley Relay (Carreja, Jennings, Ray Petrus ’17, Stephen Dawes ’17)
- Region champion 200 Freestyle Relay (Jennings, Dawes, Will Sands ’17, Sam Sands)
- Region champion 400 Freestyle Relay (Jansen, Dawes, Driscoll, Sam Sands)
The Tigers have placed second at the Class 2A State Meet the past two years, the best result at State in school history, and best among Hillsborough County schools in more than six decades. The State Meet is Saturday (Nov. 12) at Sailfish Splashpark Aquatic Athletics Center in Stuart.
View a video below of the team's celebration in the pool after winning the Region title, and below that a photo.
- All School News
- Athletics News
- Homepage News