In 1899 in downtown Tampa, what would become Jesuit High School was founded as Sacred Heart College by the Jesuit priests of Sacred Heart Church.
Over the next few decades the school changed its name and its downtown location. Then in 1940, it was named Jesuit High School in honor of the 400th anniversary of the founding of the Society of Jesus.
In 1956, Jesuit moved to its permanent location on Himes Avenue. And while many things continue to change – campus development, technological initiatives, generations of students graduating as 'Men for Others' – there is one constant: Jesuit's total commitment to the formation of the whole person.
Jesuit High School is devoted to the formation of young men in the Tampa Bay area in the longstanding tradition of Jesuit education, which dates back to the 16th century. The Jesuits are known throughout the world as educators dedicated to "finding God in all things," and exploring wide-ranging cultures and academic fields. Jesuit education takes the whole person into account and fosters intellectual development along with moral and spiritual growth.